Monday, 30 April 2012

Brief 5 - Pickles and Potter Introduction

Pickles and Potter are a Leeds based deli with two shops at the moment, one in the city centre and the other on the outskirts of leeds in a student area called Headingley. Here are a few images to give a short introduction to the company.

Brief 6 - Fashion Student Tag Inspiration

The tag needs to represent both the clothes and Georgina. I would like the tag to have something special and unique to Georgina's work and not just a bog standard swing tag.

A range of colours could work well to create a range.

Feminine shapes and cuts give personality to the tags.

I really like the idea of cut out or layers.

How will the tags be attached to the clothing? Hook, pin, knot slot?...

Typical luggage or postage labels. I could have a twist on this traditional design to make it more modern and luxurious. 

The branding should be very strong and visible. String to attach the tags could have Georgina's logo on them.

Unique shapes will make the design stand out.

I really like these tags. They are very elegant and minimalistic. They have small details that give it character.

I really like the use of material here to give it a more aesthetic finish. 

Monday, 23 April 2012

Brief 5 - Chaophraya - Final Products

String helps to keep the box sealed

To make the products easier to put in the bag ribbon ties the incense stick, chop sticks and towel together.

Instructions help the customer with the towel.

Carrier ribbon can be slotted over two boxes to make it easy and convenient to carry meals seperately. 

Label describes the contents of the box

Final box.

Brief 5 - Chaophraya - Bag Designs

The bag design was one of the most complicated parts of making the products for this brief. Like with the box designs I didn't have a net for it and therefore needed to make it up in my head.

All of the takeaway bag designs that I found weren't very inspirational and I wanted my bag to be very unique and personal to the restaurant's branding. I wanted the bag design to follow with the origami theme and so I decided to design my own net.

I measured the space needed to put the products inside the bag. I wanted the bag to resemble the menu shape in some way, really elongated. I decided that a fan idea would be nice on the side of the bag to fold it. Here is attempt one and two. The first attempt used laminated white card, tha same that was used for the food boxes. This proved to be too thick, so I decided to use thick cartridge paper so that the folds would bend better.

The box created too many creases on the paper and made it look very messy and unprofessional. Also because of the design sometimes the fan feature popped outside the box instead of folding inside.

My idea was to have the same handle type as I used on the box packaging so that they linked in together. So the handle is on one side and the box would be closed by a sticker and held by the strap.

The folds were still too messy on the thinner paper and the concept didn't work easily.
The reason that the design didn't work is because the net didn't enable the fans to fold correctly and therefore they made the rest of the paper creased. The lines here go straight down and stop at a horizontal crease at the lower end of the box and this stops the fan shape from being opened and closed properly.

I then decided to scrap the idea of having a carry bag for the food and decided to go along a more conceptual approach. My idea was to have the carrier made from material and double up as a table cloth. The idea stemmed from the idea of a bundle:

So the food would be wrapped up in the table cloth which would act as a carrier and then when the customer got home they open the carrier and use it as a table cloth.

So I spent the majority of a night sewing and making a table cloth that I could use and then when I finished and put it all together it looked, well basically like what it was - a table cloth full of food - it just didn't work.... Back to the drawing board.

My next idea was to have an actual fan shape design on the side of the box and not have it using parallel lines. If the lines joined at a point at the bottom there would be no intersecting folds to interfere with the mechanism. The design is to work like a traditional fan.

Finally it works!